Oils and fats are an integral part of our diets as they provide essential fatty acids having important function not only in the growth and development of the fetus and the child but also in health and disease prevention and cure through out the human life cycle. Edible oils extracted from oil seeds and plant sources are sources of saturated, mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fatty acids.
During the refining process heat and chemicals are used to extract the oil. In this process first the seeds are cleaning, then ground at high speed. This high speed leads to the generation of heat up-to 200ο Celsius. After this some chemicals and are added to remove certain impurities mostly gums and bleach is added to make the oil appear clearer. Volatile impurities are removed by steaming process called steam stripping at 240ο - 260ο Celsius under vacuum. Some heat is also used to deodorize and deacidify the oils.
The process of cold pressing is a slow crushing of seeds to extract the oil. This slow crushing method does not generate any heat, which supports preservation of nutrients and also the flavor of the oil.
- Studies prove that cold pressed oils are healthier as compared to refined oils. They contain more bio-active substances as compared to refined oils. Bioactive substances are those compounds which promote good health and function inside the human biological system. These substances are called antioxidants as the free the body of harmful substances. These include
- Tocopherol: Tocopherols prevent clogging of the arteries thus averting heart disease and stroke.
- Polyphenols: Poly phenols promote digestion and boost brain health.
- Carotenoids: These are also called provitamin A (precursors of vitamin A). Important for proper growth, improved immune system and healthy eye sight; And
- Squalene: Squalene helps in lowering bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) and improve good cholesterol (HLD cholesterol) levels. Squalene also helps in the supply of oxygen at cellular level, this improves energy metabolism and may be effective in weight management.
- Cold pressed oils are also rich in vitamin E. vitamin E helps to boost the body’s immune system that is strengthens the body’s defense system against various diseases. Vitamin E is good for maintenance of a healthy skin and eyes.
- They are also rich sources of oleic acid. Oleic acid is also called omega-9 fatty acid. It has cardioprotective abilities and also helps in reducing bad cholesterol from the body.
- Apart from all these nutrients cold pressed oils also retain more quantities of vitamins such as vitamin A, C, D and E; contain more minerals like zinc and potassium and also lecithin. Lecithin is an antioxidant and protects the natural oil flavor.
- Cold pressed oils retain the flavor and taste of the oil seeds they are made of, thereby enhancing the taste and flavor of the food cooked in them.
- Cold pressed oils have been seen to blend better with the spices and herbs, enhancing the aroma of the cooked food. They can also be used to enhance the flavor and taste of cold foods like salads, as they add a nutty taste and distinctive aroma to these foods
Cold pressed oils nutritive components:
- virgin coconut oil is rich in medium chain triglycerides which are utilized easily in the human body;
- Walnut oil is a great source of omega-6 fatty-acids and good for use in salad dressings or as a gourmet condiment.
- Pumpkin seed oil high quantities of linoleic and oleic acids and also many bio-active compounds such as tyrosol, vanillic acid and vanillin.
- Avocado oil can be used for frying. It is rich source of tocopherols and carotenoids.
Cold pressed oils are categorized as functional foods as they are rich in health promoting substances in addition to the nutrients that they provide. Due to the presence of bioactive substances in them they are helpful in reducing the risk of heart and circulatory diseases, improve gastro-intestinal function and help prevent certain cancers.
Buy your pack of heart healthy Multano cold pressed edible oil and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
Ms Sunita Roy Chowdhury, Senior Nutritionist, Dietician and Nutrition Educator
Healthynudgez and Guiding Stars Open Learning Academy,
Under the banner of SS Guiding Stars Pvt. Ltd.
At multano we are passionate about helping people make their lives healthier and happier. All information provided in this article is researched and authenticated by qualified experts. We are dedicated to providing reliable and accurate information to our readers. However, please use the information provided here with discretion. Any changes in medication/diet must be done with the approval of your treating medical practitioner/Dietician only.