Why Coconut Oil is called the Wonder Oil for Hair & Skin
Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties, due to the presence of a medium chain fatty acid, lauric acid. This fatty acids in the oil can kill harmful micro-organisms, including bacteria and fungi, so it could potentially help prevent infections.
Why Coconut Oil is Most Preferred Hair Care Oil
Coconut oil is said to be the best oil to use on your hair to reduce protein loss and keep it looking healthy. Coconut oil’s chemical structure is responsible for its superior ability to protect hair.
Let's understand more:
Lauric acid, the dominant medium chain fatty acid, gives coconut oil a long, straight structure, which is more easily absorbed deep into the hair shaft.
Rubbing oil on the hair before or after washing helps prevent damage as hair is more vulnerable when wet.
• Deep conditioner: Most hair conditioners often contain coconut oil as it easily penetrates the hair roots and can prevent protein loss. It can also be used for hair spa treatment, to strengthen the hair.
• Hair Mask: Coconut oil mixed with rosemary oil can be used as a hair mask. It is good to massage with this oil combination and then cover with a shower cap. Shampoo after about 30-60 minutes.
• Frizz fighting: Rubbing coconut oil along the frizzy areas of the hair can make them look smooth and polished. Even serums containing coconut oil can also be used to nourish the hair and make it frizz-free.
• Shining and smooth Hair: Rub a small amount of coconut oil onto the ends of the hair strands. In order to add a little shine. Use only a dab otherwise, the hair may seem greasy.
• Fight off dandruff: Coconut oil can help to reduce the fungal growth on the scalp, thus reducing the flaking and itching associated with dandruff. Use warm coconut oil to massage the scalp and coat the hair also with some of it. Let it sit on the scalp for 30 minutes, and wash with mild shampoo.
• scalp treatment: Massage a small amount of coconut oil onto your scalp, before bed. Leave it overnight and wash it off with shampoo in the morning. Using this technique regularly will give you healthy and shiny hair.
• Sun Protection: Coconut oil protects the hair from damage by the sun’s rays, so putting it on your hair could be helpful.
• Hair loss prevention: Excessive grooming can damage the hair shaft, which in extreme circumstances can cause hair loss. Coconut oil can help keep your hair in good condition and prevent this.
The amount of coconut oil you’ll need will depend on your hair length and type. Most people use just enough to cover the midsection to the ends of their hair to avoid their hair getting greasy.
Consuming edible virgin coconut oil is also beneficial for hair health due to its nutrients.
Benefits and Versatile Uses for Skin Care
The amazing uses of coconut oil for skin care and beauty purposes do not require spending a fortune. Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids and antioxidants that help prevent aging and damage to your skin. It also has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help keep skin healthy and fight skin allergies and yeast infections that may be responsible for rashes, and dermatitis
• Moisturizing properties: Coconut oil contains a unique combination of natural fats, making it useful for treating skin. Studies show that coconut oil can improve skin barrier function and helps in repairing damaged skin.
Apart from the anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, coconut oil also has anti-aging properties, and therefore, makes it an effective moisturizer. As Lauric acid helps in hydrating the skin and reducing water loss, it can be used as a nighttime moisturizer as well.
• Face massage: Simply rub coconut oil in a circular motion, all over the face and neck, giving a gentle massage. Cleanse with a gentle face wash to ensure the removal of dust, dirt, and any leftover residue.
• Face mask: Use melted virgin coconut oil, and add turmeric, lemon juice, and honey to it. Apply to the face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash with cold water. Turmeric acts as an anti-inflammatory, vitamin C in lemon juice and honey deeply cleans and opens the pores, and coconut oil helps hydrate the facial skin.
• Remove make-up: Coconut oil is good for removing the waxy face and eye make-up. It not only cleanses but also leaves the skin hydrated. Gently rub virgin coconut oil on the face and over the eyes with a cotton ball. Wash your face once done.
• Use as eye cream: Dab a light layer of coconut oil to dry under-eye skin to hydrate and rejuvenate the skin and reduce wrinkles due to dehydration and age. It is best to use it just before bed.
• Hydrate dry hands: Use a little virgin coconut oil after each time you wash your hands, to keep them soft and moist.
• Use as a lotion: Coconut oil is commonly used as a hydrating agent in most moisturizers. It can be used to make the skin look nourished, shiny, and smooth.
• Prefect lip balm: A dash of coconut applied on the lips provides moisture and shine to your lips.
• For cracked heels: Coconut oil is excellent for cracked heels. It contains a high concentration of vitamin E and natural proteins that help repair damaged skin cells. It also contains natural lauric acid, which has both antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, so it helps to soothe foot infections and flaking skin.
Coconut oil has many potential benefits for the skin. Research suggests that it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. Coconut oil is also very moisturizing for dry skin. A person can apply coconut oil directly to the skin. However, it is important to note that coconut oil cannot treat medical conditions. It is best to speak to the doctor before considering the use of coconut oil as a home remedy for any special conditions.
Ms Sunita Roy Chowdhury, Senior Nutritionist, Dietician and Nutrition Educator
Healthynudgez and Guiding Stars Open Learning Academy,
Under the banner of SS Guiding Stars Pvt. Ltd.
At Multano, we are passionate about helping people make their lives healthier and happier. All information provided in this article is researched and authenticated by qualified experts. We are dedicated to providing reliable and accurate information to our readers. However, please use the information provided here with discretion. Any changes in medication/diet must be done with the approval of your treating medical practitioner/Dietician only.