Cold Pressed Almond Oil – A Powerhouse of Nutrients
Cold Pressed almond oil is an essential oil packed with a lot of nutrients that are beneficial to human health. Almond oil [Oleum amygdalae] has long been used in complementary medicine for its numerous health benefits. Historically, almond oil had been used in Ancient Chinese, Ayurvedic and Greco–Persian schools of Medicine to treat many health ailments and skin conditions.
Almond oil contains more vitamin E than most other nut oils, phytosterols, monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs), potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron. Almond oil has immunity –boosting, anti-inflammatory and anti-hepatotoxicity effects.
1 tablespoon (approx 13.6 g) serving of almond oil contains 120 calories. This serving contains 14g of fat out of this 1g is saturated fat and around 13g is monounsaturated fats. It does not have any cholesterol.
Improves Health of the Colon: Studies have shown a strong connection between regular almond oil consumption and improved colonic movement and reduced waste transit time, thereby, improving symptoms of constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
Reduce Risk of Heart Diseases: Most of the fatty acids found in almond oil are monounsaturated fatty acids and it contains only 8% saturated fatty acids. The monounsaturated profile of almond oil has been shown to have beneficial effects on blood lipoprotein levels and also have an ability to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Regulate Blood Pressure: Almond oil promotes production of good cholesterol while reducing the production of bad cholesterol, which helps to improve heart health. This way, it also helps to regulate blood pressure.
Strengthen the Immune System: Almond oil is a storehouse of omega-3, -6 and -9 fatty acids along with antioxidants and vitamin E, which are good for the body’s immune system. These fatty acids are also good for skin health. Cold pressed almond oil has a high phenolic and poly-phenolic content, which act as antioxidants which help to strengthen the immune system.
Boosts Memory: The fatty acids in almond oil along with potassium nourish the nervous system and boost memory. Two spoons of almond oil mixed with a glass of milk if consumed before bed will help improve memory. It is a good regimen to follow especially during exams.
Reduces Muscle Pain: Almond oil helps to ease pain and stress from strained muscles. Warm almond oil can be used to massage the affected area and helps to relax the muscles and reduce pain. Regular use of warm almond oil helps to increase muscle strength.
For best health results drink 2 teaspoons of cold pressed almond oil daily in the morning or mixed with milk at bedtime. This will help to improve digestion, help to boost the immune system, power-up the memory and strengthen the nervous system.
Hair Skin and Nail Health:
Almond oil is used as a food flavoring agent and for salad dressing. It is used as hair, skin and nail massage oil. Due to the healthy nutrients present in the cold pressed almond oil, it boosts hair, skin and nail health.
Use almond oil regularly for:
- Healthy and Strong Nails: Almond oil massage on the nails can make them strong and shiny. Massaging a few drops of almond oil regularly on brittle nails helps to make the nails healthy and strong. Zinc and potassium present in almond oil helps to hydrate the nails and also to keep them strong.
- Glowing Skin: A high vitamin E content of almond oil helps to keep the skin moisturized and prevent many skin problems such as acne, pimples, etc. Regular use of almond oil to massage the skin helps one to maintain a clear and glowing skin.
- Moisturizing the skin: Almond oil is used as a face serum as well to moisturize dry and sensitive skin. Fatty acids in almond oil benefit the skin cells by moisture retention thereby delaying premature ageing.
Cold Pressed Almond Oil Serum Recipe: Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera, 1 tablespoon of cold pressed sweet almond oil, 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and 10-15 drops of essential oils (orange essential oil can be used). Mix all ingredients by stirring them well together and store in an aromatherapy bottle with a dropper. Store in a cold dry place and use daily for best results.
- Lightening the Scars: Regular application of almond oil on any scar helps to lighten it. It takes more time with older scars.
- Almond Oil for Aromatherapy: Almond oil finds use as a diluting essential oil. Carrier oils, such as almond oil dispel some of the harsh reactions that can occur when the essential oils are used on bare skin. Almond oil is generally used for scent, flavor, and aromatherapy properties.
Although consuming whole soaked almonds provide best nutrition, cold pressed almond oils are a healthy addition to your diet. Adding cold pressed almond oil to salads not only provides health benefits but also provides a unique flavor and a nutty taste to food. It is best to not subject cold pressed almond oil to high temperatures to avoid loss of beneficial nutrients. Regular use of cold pressed almond oil is a great way to maintain good health both internally as well as externally.
Ms Sunita Roy Chowdhury, Senior Nutritionist, Dietician and Nutrition Educator
Healthynudgez and Guiding Stars Open Learning Academy,
Under the banner of SS Guiding Stars Pvt. Ltd.
At Multano we are passionate about helping people make their lives healthier and happier. All information provided in this article is researched and authenticated by qualified experts. We are dedicated to providing reliable and accurate information to our readers. However, please use the information provided here with discretion. Any changes in medication/diet must be done with the approval of your treating medical practitioner/Dietician only.